Skip to main content

Project Selection- Magazine

If I were to do the magazine project surrounding the print journalism aspects, I think the thing that would interest me is creating a potential magazine idea surrounding a topic that is intriguing and important in my own eyes. I have always liked print journalism, as I used to read magazines and look at all the pictures in them when I was younger. In examples of print journalism I have seen in class through films like All the President's Men, the idea of stumbling upon a story of national importance and investigating the facts seems extremely thrilling to me. How investigative journalists are able to dig for facts and essentially pull a story out of thin air is amazing; especially when they start with no facts and check every crevice possible for evidence to further the story. Some skills I possess that would make the magazine project a good fit for me is that I consider myself to be a relatively good writer that is able to write in a way that can keep a reader engaged throughout the whole story. I am also interested in photography as it is one of my hobbies and I like how it gives me creative freedom. I am able to take a topic and with some research and persuasive language I can write over 3 pages on a singular topic. I like my photographs to be very abstract and eye catching as well, so they are seen as eccentric and colorful rather than bland and simple. The thing that might make the magazine project a challenge for me is that I do struggle with creativity in lists of topics sometimes, so while planning out the spreadsheet of all the pages in my magazine I might find it difficult to think of other things to write about. I also struggle with formatting like how a magazine is normally seen with captions and pictures and other things and wrapped into one page evenly spread out and aesthetically appealing. Some of the editing programs may also prove difficult for me as I am not very literate in technical proceedings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Distribution Research- Essence

Essence magazine was made specifically for African American women which covers the most recent beauty, fashion, entertainment, and culture trends. It was first published in 1970 and has continued its journey for over 50 years to empower these women and boost their confidence, and decrease the stigmas that go along with being a black woman in todays society. On their website, they explain that "Essence communications is the number one media, technology and commerce company dedicated to black women and inspires a global audience of more than 20 million through diverse storytelling and immersive original content". So with over 20 million people subscribed in some way to their magazine, they obviously are going to have a very diverse distribution model. In 2013, Essence posted an article to their website that introduced the new app that would soon be available to iPhone users. They increased their distrution to app stores because although they already have millions of individuals...

Audience Engagement Research- V

V Magazine is a fashion magazine that has been around since 1999 and had the addition of a specific mens edition in 2003 merely 4 years after they published their first volume. Their original target audience was both men and women but had the creation of the specific mens only portion in 2003 to make sure that they were getting even coverage of each gender. They are most well known for staying in the know with current fashion, music, art, and film trends. They are generally considered to be geared towards the middle to upper class; especially people who are finding themselves to be attracted to more artsy type things. They consider many of their subscribers to be interested in art, culture, and photography which include some odd things that most artistically inclined people would probably enjoy. Surprisingly enough, they actually have more male subscribers being at 54% compared to the female subscribers which is 46%. They have an average age range of around 24- 35 which is relatively s...

Photo Shoot #2